Smithson Law Office:
Debt Resolution - Credit Cards
* Contact a Debt Resolution Attorney immediately after receiving any legal documents regarding your debt including Summons and/or Complaint.
* Upon retaining counsel, federal law requires that all debt collectors cease contacting you and deal directly with your attorney. Obtaining an experienced debt resolution attorney can give you peace of mind while your attorney works with debt-collectors to obtain a favorable resolution.
* When negotiating for settlements with collection agencies and/or their debt collection law firms, a debt resolution attorney can avoid expensive litigation and allow you to settle your claim at a fraction of the cost.
* Options are available to avoid bankruptcy and garnishment.
* You have the right to demand and obtain written verification of any alleged debt from a collection agency. When that request is made, preferably in writing, collection efforts must cease while the debt is verified.
* Be careful about making a payment over the phone. A debt-collector can use a payment to open up a debt that may no longer be collectable due to the statute of limitations.
* In addition, despite potential assurances of a debt collector, without a signed, written record, you may find yourself continually obligated to pay a debt even after a so-called “settlement.”
The information provided here is meant to be general and instructional, and does not constitute legal advice. For specific consideration of your individual circumstances, please consult a local attorney